Lemon Syrup Love Cake
This is based on Nigella Lawson’s cake of the same name, with a few modifications. I made it recently for a special birthday. It works best in a silicone cake tin – preferably bundt-shaped (the silicone does not absorb the syrup so it all goes in the cake).
- 1/4 cup soft unsalted butter
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs
- zest of a 2 lemons
- 1 1/2 cups + 2 Tbsp self-raising flour (if you don’t have self-raising flour, add 2 tsps baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt)
- pinch of salt
- 6 Tbsp milk
For the syrup:
- Juice of 2+ lemons
- ¾ c. icing sugar
- Butter your pan (if not using silicone pans, also line with greaseproof paper).
- Cream butter and sugar, and add eggs and zest.
- Add flour and salt, fold in, then milk.
- Bake at 180C for 45 minutes.
- Make syrup by placing sugar and lemon juice in a saucepan and heating to a simmer, then reducing by about half (careful that it doesn’t burn – do this over medium heat. Also, this stuff sticks to everything and is VERY hot, so be careful of burning yourself!).
- As soon as cake is out of the oven, puncture cake and pour warm syrup over.
- Let cool completely in pan before turning out.