I’ve been on a bit of a baking roll (badum-tish) this weekend, and for once these vegan cupcakes actually turned out like cake, and I think I finally have the trick of it!
For a while I’ve been using this chocolate cake recipe for vegan cake, which claims to be the best ever but I’ve had utterly variable results with it. One time I get dry cakes and with a really small crumb, the next I get soggy lumpen things that aren’t good for anyone’s stomach. I think I found the key this time though — it’s in the mixing.
Here’s my adapted recipe for vegan mint chocolate cupcakes:
Makes 12 cupcakes
For the icing:
1. Heat oven to gas mark 4.
2. Mix dry ingredients together until they form a uniform (ish) brown colour.
3. Pour in the oil and mix as best you can.
4. Pour in water a little at a time until you get a nice gloopy mixture. You’ll probably still have some left over — keep it to one side.
5. Add the vinegar. It may fizz a bit — this is normal.
6. Add the rest of the water. The mixture will be extra runny but that’s perfectly fine. Stir it in until mixed together.
7. Divide into your cupcake cases and put in the oven for 20 minutes.
8. Mmmm cake. Resist eating straight away and put on a rack.
9. Do some other stuff while they cool down.
10. To make the icing combine all the ingredients and mix until your hand hurts. Unless you have a mixer, you lucky thing. Taste frequently to make sure the icing is smooth and not grainy. Ahem.
11. Ice your now cooled cupcakes.
12. Bask in the appreciation of your vegan flatmate.