Now, I’ve tried to make scones several times since my first attempt waaaaay back in Home Economics class. While that first set turned out alright, everything since then has either been more akin to a rock than food, or more like flakey pastry than anything else.
Which is why I was dead impressed that this recipe not only worked out, but was suitably vegan-friendly as well!
I used this vegan scone recipe from Maple Spice as a base, adjusted for the ingredients to hand.
Makes 7 scones
1. Set oven to gas mark 7. Cover a tray with greaseproof paper.
2. Mix dry ingredients together in a bowl then rub / stir in the dairy free spread like you would when making crumble or pastry until the fat and flour combine into a coarse crumb.
3. Add dairy free milk a little at a time and stir in until the mixture starts to come together.
4. Press the mixture together into a loose dough. Add a little more milk if it’s not working. Form into a flat shape about 2 inches thick.
5. Use a cutter or a knife to cut out appropriate sized scones and place them on the tray. Don’t handle the dough too much but it’s fine to reform it to get more scones out!
6. Put in the oven for 10–12 minutes.