Waffles picture from jamminjulia on Flickr
We have made all the waffles in Gothic Valley, and the tasty vegan variety have inspired one of our number to buy a waffle iron. For her and other vegan and vegan-friendly types, here is our recipe (adapted from this, but quite different).
Gothic Vegan Waffles
- 1 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (scant)
- 1/2 cup nondairy ‘milk’ (I use Oatly(TM))
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup oil (light olive or vegetable)
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl. Mix the wet ingredients in a different bowl or a basin. Combine and mix until just mixed up.
- Preheat waffle iron and spray heavily (or wipe down) with oil. These will stick, so be liberal about the greasing – even for ‘non-stick’ irons.
- Cook according to the waffle maker’s instructions, which usually means putting about 1/2 cup batter on the iron, closing, and waiting for the indicator to light or sound.
Serves: one hungry Raven.
Tip: you can make your own applesauce by cutting two medium-sized apples into small pieces and cooking in a small pan with about 1 Tbsp water for about 5 minutes, and then mashing with a potato masher.